Texas woman to die next week loses clemency bid
Posted on January 25, 2013 at 5:23 PM
Updated Saturday, Jan 26 at 10:04 AM
HUNTSVILLE, Texas (AP) — The Texas Board of Pardons and Paroles has unanimously refused a clemency request from a Dallas County woman set to die next week for the slaying and robbery of a retired 71-year-old college psychology professor at her home.
Attorneys for Kimberly McCarthy had sought a 120-day reprieve from her scheduled Tuesday execution and that her sentence be commuted to life in prison.
The seven-member board Friday turned her down.
The 51-year-old McCarthy faces lethal injection in Huntsville for the 1997 stabbing and beating death of Dorothy Booth. Booth was a neighbor in Lancaster, about 15 miles south of Dallas. Evidence showed McCarthy called her to borrow a cup of sugar, then went to get it and attacked Booth.
McCarthy would be the fourth woman executed in Texas in modern times.
- Female Refused Pardon (woai.com)
- Texas woman to die next week loses clemency bid (wfaa.com)
- texas woman´s execution halted! (inprisonedwomen.wordpress.com)
- Texas: Kimberly McCarthy, to die next week looses CLEMENCY BID (inprisonedwomen.wordpress.com)
- Texas: Kimberly McCarthy, to die next week looses CLEMENCY BID (imprisonedwomen.wordpress.com)
- Texas Woman, Kimbery McCarthy, to die next week looses CLEMENCY BID (inprisonedwomen.wordpress.com)
- Texas Woman’s Execution 1st in US Since 2010 (abcnews.go.com)
- Lancaster woman convicted of killing neighbor to be first female executed in Texas since 2010 (dallasnews.com)
- Texas to execute first woman in US since 2010 (inprisonedwomen.wordpress.com)
- Texas woman’s execution 1st in US since 2010 (vindy.com)